Monday, April 5, 2010

ArtFest 2010 part 2 ~ the happenings

ArtFest 2010 was GREAT!!!!
ArtFest at Fort Worden in Port Townsend, WA is a very unique event in a very special place.
Fort Worden, Port Townsend, WA - collage

I stayed in an old dorm with a very tiny room. But I would not change the experience for anything.
My tiny dorm room

Everyone arrived on Wednesday, registered and got settled in dorms, then
we went to dinner, began reacquainting and frantically trading! see previous post.
Dorm mates ~ Jill, me & Jacque

After dinner on Wednesday, we were welcomed to ArtFest 2010 Opening Ceremonies by a concert from Surrealized, a Seattle based techno, electronic and rock band featuring a multimedia showcase. Their CD is available on iTunes.
Photo from Surrealized site

All day art classes were Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
On Thursday, I had Nina Bagley
- vintage necklace keeper class. While it was not a dynamic or new techniques filled class, it was perfect for my jet-lagged mind.
Nina Bagley is a lovely giving person, whom I so admire.
Nana and her Vintage Jewelry Keeper.
My vintage jewelry keeper is for the Mah Jongg jewelry that I make for Nevada Museum of Art (future post to follow).
On Friday and Saturday, I had Susan Lenart Kazmer
. Susan is dynamic, full of energy, enthusiasm and talent. I was so glad these classes were Friday and Saturday!
Friday's class was Transparent Text Jewelry. In the morning we worked with Ice Resin to make resin papers and fill bezels.
later that afternoon, we made a copper hinged booklet for resin papers.
Saturday's class with Susan Lenart Kazmer was Altered Surface Charms. We learned all about patinas, cutting and metal working copper and cold connection joining....to make charms for a necklace. I made 6 charms and now want a disc cuter and dapper set!
I am happy to say I finished all three projects on evenings, lunchtime and after classes.

The other nights evening activities included:
Thursday, an Iron (Chef) Artist Challenge between all of the teachers. Each teacher was given a kit (either 2D or 3D depending on type of artist) and had to create something in 30 minutes using all of the pieces..some used all..some did their own thing. It was great to see each artist's style emerge in their creation.

Friday Vendor Marketplace where over 20 teachers sold their art works. It was crowded with so many people and beautiful creations.

Saturday evening culminated in the Students Show-n-Tell Gallery Show.

I finished my class projects and was able to show them on Saturday evening at the Students Show-n-Tell Gallery Show, below are my creations.
L to R ~ altered surface charm necklace (Susan Lenart Kazmer, Teacher), resin paper in copper locket booklet necklace (Susan Lenart Kazmer, Teacher), and vintage jewelry keeper (Nina Bagley teacher)

Sunday morning, a few of us awoke early to get the shuttle back to
SEATAC airport and fly home. It was with sadness that we said good bye to our dorm mates (new friends) and each other. But each attendee vowed to return next year...It was like saying farewell to classmates at the end of the school year and heading off for summer. We all shared email addresses and blog sites and will reunite on the world wide web. We are all off for another year to try our wings and hone our skills till ArtFest 2011.

I know I have been blessed with a gift for art. At
ArtFest 2010 that gift was further developed and expressed thru hard work.

ArtFest 2010 was all truly a magical fairie tale ....
a Once Upon a Time adventure.


Art Quote
The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. ~ Emile Zola

1 comment:

Deirdra Doan said...

Hi,
I see you took the resin class. I am thinking of taking it at Art and Soul...
Could I ask a few questions?
Could you please Email me at my blog. The class is tomorrow. I need to decided. I am taking the prayer boxes with her on Sat.
Thank you so so much.
Deirdra