Sunday, March 23, 2008

Words are powerful tools

My blog postings are so far behind, but sometimes life gets in the way of blogging!!!

The second January prompt is “Words”.
When given the prompt “Words” the first thing that came to mind was the song:

Words by the Bee Gees
Smile an everlasting smile,
A smile can bring you near to me.
Don’t ever let me find you down,
Cause that would bring a tear to me.
This world has lost its glory,
Let’s start a brand New story now, my love.
Right now, there’ll be no other time
And I can show you how, my love.

Talk in everlasting words,
And dedicate them all to me.
And I will give you all my life,

I’m here if you should call to me.

You think that I don’t even mean a single word I say.

Its only words, and words are all I have,
To take your heart away

How appropriate the prompt “Words” is for me, since words are usually the basis for my inspirations. When given most assignments I have to look up everything about the topic. So given a prompt I Google “(the prompt word) quotes”.

I also look thru my database of favorite "Word" quotes.

“Tears are words the heart can't express” ` Unknown

“Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning.” ~ Unknown

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.” ~ Unknown

Words are powerful tools.
They convey emotions, thoughts, ideas. Words can comfort, sooth and entertain.
But words can also be deadly weapons. Words used maliciously to hurt someone. Words used unknowingly and carelessly can also be weapons that hurt someone. Like all of us, I have too much experience with the last experience.
Often we do not hear or see how the word or tone we use for word said to a child can devastate him/her. Or how words to or from a friend can wound. Often the comments, stories, or phrases we make are never meant to hurt but they do. There are also times our words lie.

"You mustn't always believe what I say.
Questions tempt you to tell lies, particularly when there is no answer."
- Pablo Picasso


And then there are those times when you are down and feel no one values your opinion or your words. And you ask “why bother?” (to say anything). These times also hurt.

In the book
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.
The first agreement he talks about is “Be Impeccable With Your Word”. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

Hard to do 24-7, but oh so worthwhile at bedtime, when you sit and reflect on your day.

To do my journal page I used recycled paper towels used to blot procein dye for dying fabric for another project. I “matte media" adhered the paper towels to gesso primed pages. then overlayed one side with my "Words" song and quotes printed on Mylar. On the other side I wrote "Words" then 2 columns
for words I Like and Not Like. I wrote the words in white paint pen, outlined by a permanent black marker and highlighted with chalk pens. Glad to say the "Like" words list was much longer!

Looking over these pages I am often reminded that the words that often haunts me most when I spend time in evening reflection are...

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: